½- cup dairy-free margarine, softened
1 ¼- cups sugar
1/2 cup of applesauce (organic if available J)
1 ¼- cups cooked mashed sweet potato
¼- cup Almond milk (unsweetened)
¾- cup brown rice flour (see note*)
¾- cup quinoa flour (see note*)
2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
¼- teaspoon salt
1- teaspoon cinnamon
¼- teaspoon ground nutmeg
½- cup shredded coconut
¼- cup almonds (shredded or crushed)
*NOTE: You do not need to go out and buy brown rice flour and quinoa. If you already have quinoa and rice, please take the ¾-cup of each and toast it on a pan (on high heat) for about 5-8mins, or until the rice and quinoa are lightly toasted. You will know they are ready because you will hear a little popping noise from the quinoa. Once brown, set aside and let cool for about 5 minutes. Then, add to a high-powered blender (I personally use the Vitamix) and blend until the rice and quinoa become a powder. Set aside and use for recipe!
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Peel away skins from the sweet potatoes. Cut in cubes and set aside. You can boil or microwave the sweet potatoes. If you are short on time, microwave them for 4-5mins (or until them are soft). Make sure to add some water to your bowl to create moisture. Otherwise, broil the potatoes for about 15 minutes or until soft. Set aside and let cool.
3. Blend the margarine until it is light and fluffy. Slowly add the sugar and beat on medium speed. Then add the applesauce, blending all ingredients together.
4. Add the sweet potato mash and almond milk to the mixture. Stir well to combine.
5. In a separate bowl combine the rice flour, quinoa flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
6. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring until just combined. Stir in shredded coconut once all dry mixture is combined with the wet mixture.
7. It is up to you if you want to use a mini muffin pan or larger one. I have found that using cupcake wrappings are much better at preventing gluten free muffins from falling apart. Spoon the batter into the cups, filling about 3/4 full.
8. Combine an additional 2 tbsp sugar,1/4 tsp cinnamon, and almonds into a bowl. Mix together and sprinkle over muffins.
9. Bake for about 20 minutes (check at 15min mark for mini muffin pan). Before you take them out, make sure to use a toothpick or knife and insert it into the center of a muffin to make sure they are done. You will know if they are done if the knife or toothpick comes out clean.